Proven Technology and Expertise
Mature, Robust, Reliable Shimmer’s market ready technology tailored to your solution
Shimmer provides mature, robust, and reliable body sensor technology and expertise to business and enterprise customers who are incorporating wearable wireless sensing into their product research, development, solutions and market deployments.
Shimmer’s wearable sensor platform and equipment allows for simple and effective biophysical and kinematic data capture in real-time for a wide range of application areas. Designed to meet challenges of size, wearability, reliable communications and low power consumption, Shimmer’s wearable sensor platform greatly reduces development time and cost whilst providing industry leading capabilities.
Flexible and configurable, Shimmer’s body sensor technology provides high quality reliable data, and gives complete control to easily tailor the equipment to each enterprise’s unique product and end user requirements.
For greater customisation, volume manufacture, and development of end to end solutions, Shimmer offer consultancy and contract services based upon in-depth industry experience and expertise.
‘Tools to meet your product and application requirements’
- Wearable Sensor Technology and Equipment: Allows your enterprise to conduct application and algorithm development in the area of wearable wireless sensing, without expensive time and cost associated with hardware and firmware development
- Key Support Tools: Instrument drivers, and application development tools to rapidly develop custom applications, software and solutions for your product and end user requirements
- Customisation and Consultancy: Industry leading expertise in customising hardware and developing applications to ensure effective market ready solution
- Rapid Prototyping and Volume Manufacture: Integration of mechanical and electrical design for optimization of the entire electronics assembly, with volume manufacture via our Dublin facility which is accredited to the quality management standard ISO 9001 and the medical device standard ISO 13485.
How the Equipment Works
Shimmer’s sensor equipment and solutions are based around the Shimmer wireless sensor platform (often referred to as the main-board). This provides a lot of the features required to develop wireless sensing applications and can be tailored to each application as follows:
- Essential Hardware: Sensor platform includes basic motion sensing, micro-controller to set up data capture, radios for wireless transmission of data, internal memory for local storage of data, and a rechargeable battery.
- Sensing Capabilities: There are a range of sensing capabilities that can capture data specific to the person and their environment including motion, biophysical, and ambient sensors.
- Firmware: The units have standard firmware that allows for the units to be configured specific to each applications data capture and transmission requirement via supporting applications. Firmware can also be developed so that it is tailored to end product and solution specifications
- Development Tools, Enabling Software and Advance Feature Software: Raw data is provided by the Shimmer platform, and can be received by enabling software for further interpretation and analysis. Application development tools and instrument drivers are also provide to allow for the creation of software and applications for complete wireless sensing solutions to be developed.
Shimmer has a modular approach to wearable sensing. This means that the Shimmer platform (baseboard) is essentially a wearable computing platform with an integrated 3 axis accelerometer. Various sensing modules can then be added to Shimmer platform on a one-to-one basis (referred to as sensor daughter board). This means a Shimmer platform can work with any one of the individual sensor modules.